Thursday, October 24, 2013

Cake Topper Techniques: Fondant Animals-Craftsy Class Review

Craftsy offers online crafting classes taught by acclaimed instructors who love craft as much as we do. That's one of the reasons that I have gotten many of  Craftsy's cake decorating classes. With my busy schedule, the kids and working full time I need classes that are available to me any time and that I can watch according to my own schedule. Besides, more than taking the classes online, they do have a platform where you can ask questions to the instructors, upload photos of my projects and interact with other members.
Given the opportunity of reviewing one of their classes, I decided to take the Cake Topper Techniques: Fondant Animals


This Craftsy class was led by Sharon Wee, an Australian cake decorator, which I never heard of but after a quick search I found her work so beautiful and her very talented skills making fondant toppers.
The class teaches how to make a cow, pig,teddy bear, bunny, love birds,bee,ladybug, penguins and a cute little ducky with fondant. In the first part, she teaches how to make basic shapes like balls, oval, cone and tear drop shapes. I have to say that the animal toppers in this class are made using techniques suitable for beginners, which is the perfect class to take for people who want to start learning basic figures to move into a more detailed and advanced cake toppers.
Even though I consider myself an experienced cake decorator,I always find it interesting to see other people working with different techniques and I am always open to new ways of doing things. I was not disappointed with this class at all. Personally, I have always had problems when it comes to proportion for my fondant figures and I finally was able to learn how to cut and size the proper amount of fondant for each part of the body.
Sharon provides clear and easy to follow instructions and methods for creating every fondant figurine. In lesson 2 you will start making simple figurines, like the ducky that really do not need support, very simple, from there she moves into more detail toppers. I have to tell you that I made this little bunny in no time!
Something I notice is that the instructor assumes that you have some experience working with fondant and you are aware of terms like CMC and Tylose, as well as handling fondant so it doesn't get dry when leaving out.  But honestly having to work with fondant before is not something that you need to know for this class.
From lesson 5 and on, you will learn how to make fondant toppers with movement, which I found very easy to make using pretty much egg and tear drop shapes.Of course, be aware that this toppers need support and time to dry , so you won't be able to finish the topper at once.

I thoroughly enjoyed this class and the time she took to make each topper , since I am a very visual-kind of like to take my time -person.  I was pleased to pick up new techniques, specially when it comes to proportions of the body.

I highly can recommend this class,like I said before, great for beginners and useful for experienced cake decorators. Sharon will teach you the tips and trick to make the animal cake toppers that you have always wanted to make and thought were very difficult.
Craftsy can turn your cake ideas in reality, right there in your own home and at your own time. From fondant to isomalt and modeling chocolate, Craftsy Cake Decorating courses are taught by the best instructors from around the world.
Click here to receive 25% off your first Cake Decorating course with Craftsy!




This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Craftsy. The opinions and text are all mine.

2 comments:

Natalia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IFeelCook said...

I bought this course too some weeks ago!!! I watched all the videos and I loved them all. Sharon Wee toppers are so nice. I'm eager to have some free time to practise and make the lovely cow and pig :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.