Friday, May 27, 2011

Graduation Cake in 30 minutes

No, I actually didn't measure ingredients, bake the cake and made the buttercream in 30 minutes, but I did frosted and decorated the cake in 30 minutes.
With graduations still going I though you might wanted to get a quick idea for a last minute cake for a friend or family member.

I needed this cake on Friday morning so I baked the Red Velvet cake on  Wednesday night , I also made the buttercream and put cake and buttercream in the refrigerator. Thursday night,I whipped the buttercream, I assembled the cake ( my normal 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of buttercream) I crumb coated the cake, let it chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes, took it out and frosted it.


Photobucket


I am not really good with buttercream cakes, but my talented blog friend Jennifer, from Cup a Dee Cakes has a wonderful buttercream video tutorial . I am sure you will find it very useful.

Photobucket


I got my cookie cutters out, some black and white fondant and made the diploma and the girl silhouette
Photobucket


Photobucket

I used big tips to add a little detail on the cake and the borders, and that's it, cake was done!!

Photobucket

I hope you all have a great holiday weekend !

10 comments:

giovanna said...

30 min??? well I am impressed!!! great job!

Kenni said...

30 minutes and you cake came out smoother than mine when I take an hour! Awesome job!

Ratita Golosa said...

Qué bueno...tienen una pinta fantástica!!

Sue said...

Way to go! Love the silhouette. Happy weekend!

OvenDelights said...

I just made a "First Communion" cake last night, I started baking it at 6pm and had it all finished by 11pm! I'm always afraid to bake my cake way ahead of time, so I always bake them the evening before the order is due. I'm afraid the cake won't taste fresh, is this ever a problem for you?
By the way....I did visit your friend's blog, and I'm blown away at her talent! She has really nice work. I hope I can reach that talent someday.

Unknown said...

Wow Kathia 30min, it takes me 30min to get buttercream even half way smooth (still working on my technique). You did an awesome job!! I need to check out the video at Cup a Dee Cakes.


@ OvenDelights I am the same way about my cakes, cupcakes, cookies. I'm afraid that if I bake them too far in advance they will get stale too. However, working a full-time job (don't have too many hours after work to bake) I have had to bake somethings days in advance. I'm always really worried, but the customers loved them so I guess they turn out fine.

Some people say to use a simple syrup on your cakes/cupcakes before frosting to help moisten them or keep them wrapped/covered up while they are in the fridge, but I would love to hear what Kathia suggest!

Jenniffer said...

Katha, I tried to comment a few days ago but Blogger was having issues. You are so sweet to mention my blog! 30 minutes from start to finish? Are you getting ready for something... like Food Network Challenge???

Unknown said...

Cute cake! And thanks for the tutorial!

cookies and cups said...

30 minutes?! you are a rock star!!

SweetCharity said...

I wish my graduation cupcakes only took 30 minutes! Love the design!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.