Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Green And Yellow Birthday Cake

On Saturday I baked a birthday cake for one of my good friends , she wanted Chocolate Cake with Vanilla buttercream filling, she also wanted the cake in green and yellow colors, so I came up with this idea. I made the bow with sugar paste ( I made it from scratch since it is cheaper and nobody is going to eat it any way). I made the bow 3 days in advanced, I got the idea for the cake from my new book Confetti Cakes ( it is the best), I really didn't follow the proper instructions for the bow, instead I made my own thing, it wasn't perfect, but now I know what and how to do it the next time. I hand painted the green bow using luster dust and lemon extract.(see instructions at wilton website)

Here are some details, as you can see I need more practice writing and using a less stiffer royal icing.
This is the cake, I like it and so did my friend.

I learned a few things a long the way:

1-Use good quality brushes ( mine were cheap and left hair all over the place)
2-Don't paint at 12 am in the morning, and if you do, use good lighting, which I didn't have.
3-Make extra bows, I could have use more and I didn't have any left.
4-Color the fondant a day in advance, and make sure you will have enough of the same color in this way you won't be so tired the day you are decorating the cake.
5-Make sure you bake the cake the right size, I baked a 2" cake, but the box she that I wanted to accomplish could have looked way better in a 4" cake.

2 comments:

The Travel Realm said...

Hey Melis-
What a beautiful cake-- you are getting better and better! Talk soon.

Anonymous said...

Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me. Well this article that i’ve been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share. alabama cakes from walmart

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.