Sunday, June 14, 2009

Simple Yellow Ruffle Cake

This is my latest project, a simple cake inspired by the birthday girl's favorite's skirt . Buttermilk cake with chocolate frosting. I covered the cake with white fondant and the "ruffles" are made with 50% gumpaste and 50% fondant. This is the topper. Close up of the ruffles
The little cake with my awesome black background ( I am improving taking pictures)


Here is a little step by step of how I did it. I mixed the gumpaste and fondant and tinted with a little yellow color.


I cut out a series of circles, using three size cutters. I put them on my wilton board so they won't dry out.





To make the first ruffle I use the bigger circle, I place the end of a cocktail stick over the edge of the circle and roll it back and forth fairly hard so that paste begins to ruffle up. I work my way around the whole circle in this way, then I repeat the same steps with the other two circles.


Then I stick the smallest circle in the center of the middle size circle with a dab of water, then stick this in the center of the large circle to form a "rosette". I then wet the back of the rosette and carefully place it on the sides of the cake.





Here the rosettes are drying just a little bit before I place them on the cake. When you rich this point..the finger that you use to ruffle the rosette with the toot pick ( I can't remember the name in English right now and I don't feel like Google it) is almost swollen and you feel like is about to fall off your hand.


Take care girls,
Kathia






7 comments:

The Cooking Photographer said...

Kathia this post is awesome!! You should keep doing this. You just taught me to so something that I'd have to get a special book for or a teacher in less than two minutes!

Laura

Shirley Yanga said...

Hi Kathia! How are you? Just want you to know that the client cancelled the cake...Anyway, I'll keep in touch w/ you. I'm trying to e-mail you but it keeps on bouncing..wanted to call you..By the way, NICE JOB..like this cake :-)

Jamie said...

Amazing! I must study your blog a bit more closely as I truly want to be able to decorate cakes like this! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

This is lovely! :)

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Kathia - Great tutorial. When you get a change, swing by my blog and take a peek.

Miss Lucky Piggy said...

just found your blog via google, you are very generous with tutorials, thanks for all of your tutorials and this is gorgeous!

Ranjan said...

The cake looks amazing..love the texture of the cake and step by step representation.I got so many ideas about different cake flavours after reading this post..keep posting such informative post. And if you want to explore more such cakes then visit us at 1800giftportal..we provide online cakes & gifts delivery at your doorstep.
international cake delivery to Germany
international cake delivery to Canada
send cake online
baby shower gifts

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.