Monday, June 8, 2009

Brush Embroidery Class with Chef Toba Garrett

I can't begin to tell you how happy I was taking this class. Brush embroidery resembles the fine embroidery seen on table linen and napkins. brush embroidery piping adds elegance and style to any cake with a rolled iced fondant surface.For those who do not know Chef Toba, she is a noted cake decorating book author, cake show judge and the foremost authority on precise and intricate piping. Here are some pics of my step by step work.

Chef Toba kept telling us that we should keep the dignity in every petal, well, mine lost their dignity since I piped the first petal and the royal icing wasn't stiff enough.








This is Chefs' Toba's work.







9 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Stunning... I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this technique.

I have a friend who took a class of Toba's once. He said she was a real bee-otch... very nasty whenever anyone asked a question. Did you find that to be the case?

The Cooking Photographer said...

Wow Kathia. You are so lucky to have gone to this class! I've attempted this technique at a Wilton class, but it wasn't anything like this.

Laura

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Kathia,
Thanks for the clarification on Toba... I won't be so reluctant to take one of her classes now. So nice that you got such to work so closely with her. To many more classes!!!

Take care,
ButterYum

Jamie said...

I think your flowers are perfect! That is so pretty. How lucky to have taken this class!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Hi Kathia,

I got your notes. I'd love this tutorial emailed thank-you! But no hurry, you are super busy and I won't be using it for awhile.

Oh yeah, and ask your question anytime, just email or leave a note.

Ttys,
Laura

My Sweet & Saucy said...

All your photos are making me jealous! I wish I could've sat in on that class! My sister is in love with this technique!

Pink Little Cake said...

Thank you for all the comments girls!

Anonymous said...

I just finished a class with Chef Toba Garrett on Friday. This was my second class with her.To Buttergum: You heard right. I felt she was a bit of a bee-otch. She seems annoyed at some questions and got off her chair twice the whole week to walk around and look at our work. Other people in the class agree and were afraid to ask questions. I paid over $500.00 for the class and was dissapointed with her attitude.

Pink Little Cake said...

Anonymous- I am sorry to heard that, what a shame specially if you are paying a lot of money. I have to say that my experience was great, I even going to take some classes with her at I.C.E. In our class, she did walked around checking in our work too. Good luck next time.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.