Monday, April 11, 2011

Lemon Cake for the Pregnant Lady

In this case the pregnant lady is me! We are so happy to be expecting our second baby. This is a dream come true for us and we are looking forward to hold our baby in our arms.

With the joy of expecting a little one has come the morning sickness and me being sick pretty much everyday. Unfortunately this pregnancy is totally different than the one I had with Cami, I could pretty much eat a cow everyday until the day that I went into labor and I had a tall glass of milk and 2 potato rolls before going for my C-Section! ( I really didn't know when it was going to be my next meal and I wanted to be prepared). I am happy to report that I gained 80 happy and nutritious pounds.

The story with this baby is completely different, not only I have to deal with the 300 hundred test been schedule to me because I am over 35, but I have been sick since the first day I had a positive result.
I can't eat, I can't see meat, eggs or pretty much anything.
The only thing I am surviving on is rice, tomato, onions and lemons.same.thing,every.day. If I am having a good day I can eat a little pasta, bread and a little fruit ( I have to say that Saturday I was craving nachos and I was able to eat a portion that would take any of you a week to eat)

 I am having a  lack of motivation for many things, so far I just want to be in bed 24/7.

Since I have been having lemons as part of my new unwanted "diet" ,I decided to make this Lemon Swiss Roll  that I made in one of my classes at ICE, I love it and I was able to eat a little portion of it, I gave the rest to a good friend of mine.

Lemon Swiss Roll

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 1/4 cups of cake flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray bottom of pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper.

1-Sift cake flour
1-Separate eggs, placing whites in a bowl for an electric mixer, put yolks in a small bowl.
3-Beat the eggs whites with a pinch of salt , until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks are formed.
4-Continue beating and slowly add sugar in a steady stream. Beat 5 to 10 minutes until egg whites are stiff and no longer grainy.
5- Put mixer on very low speed and mix in slightly whisked egg yolks and the lemon juice.
6-Remove bowl from machine and fold flour mixture.
7-Spread batter in prepared pan ( I used a half sheet 12x18)
8-Bake 20 to 30 minutes. cool in pan.

LEMON CURD

8 large egg yolks

Grated zest of 4 lemons
1 1/2 cups of  freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
8 oz  unsalted butter
4 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/2 tea spon of salt

1-Combine lemon zest, lemon juice,butter, cornstarch, salt and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking  constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan. Bring to a simmer.

2-Whisk the egg yolks together in a bowl.
3-Beat one quarter of the liquid into the egg yolks.
4-Add the yolk mixture to the remaining lemon mixture and cook over low/ medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a boil, about 1 minute.
3.Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming. Let cool and  refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.




Spread the lemon curd over the cooled cake, be generous!



Carefully roll the cake up to form a roll.



Finished roll




I decorated the cake just piping some Swiss Meringue on it (recipe coming soon or there are plenty online), I really didn't feel too creative.

Enjoy!!


Have a great week everyone and please keep me in your prayers.


28 comments:

Meghan @ Domestic Sugar said...

WOW KATHIA! That is such a blessing! Cammi will have someone to play with! I hope you feel better soon! My thoughts are with you :: dances for you ::

Hannah said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!! That looks Amazing! It is so beautiful and I am a sucker for lemon desserts. You are so talents.

(And you know that I am completely excited about your big news! Yay!)

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

Awesome news! (well except for the feeling ill) So many congratulations!! All the very best.
The lemon roll looks amazing and perfect for this time of the year.

Mari Nuñez said...

Kathia, I am so happy for you!! May the Lord continue to bless you, and help you feel better soon :)

The roll looks delicious, I am now craving some, but rest assure...I am not expecting, jejeje.

Abrazos,
Mari

Karma said...

Kathia, muchas felicidadessss!!! me alegro muchísimo... ya verás que pronto te encontrarás mejor. Y respecto a la comida, qué curiosa es la naturaleza.. yo odiaba el sofrito de tomate, hasta el olor :-).
Y por cierto este rollo de limón tiene una pinta estupenda.. nunca he probado de hacer el Lemon Curd.. a ver si me sale :-).
Besitossss

Sue said...

I'm sorry you are not feeling well, but at least in the end you will get a beautiful baby! CONGRATS, Kathia! Your lemon roll is gorgeous!

Ratita Golosa said...

Qué buena noticia Kathia!!! Muchas felicidades por tu embarazo!!! Pronto se irán esos síntomas, ya lo verás! Este brazo tiene un corte buenísimo...con el merengue y el relleno de limón...qué rico!!
Besos y felicidades de nuevo!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Se ve riquísimo Kathia, me imagino la alegría que has de sentir por el anticipo de tu segundo bebe. Espero y pronto se pasen tus achaques. :)

SweetThingsTO said...

Congratulations! Take care of yourself!

Jenniffer said...

Congratulations Kathia, that is such great news! I am so sorry to hear though that you have been sick. I hope you gain your appetite and momentum back very very soon!

Barbara Bakes said...

Congratulations! I hope you're feeling much better soon. I know a slice of this gorgeous cake would make me feel better!

Hil said...

So happy for you! But seriously... get feeling better!! Morning sickness is seriously so incredibly miserable. I have been praying for you each and every day, I hope it passes soon!

Why oh why don't you live closer to me? This lemon swiss roll looks so incredibly yummy. I would have been happy to share it with you. :)

Kate H.(www.sprinkletherapy.blogspot.com) said...

Many blessings for a healthy pregnancy! congrats!

Unknown said...

That lemon swiss roll looks amazing. So light, tart and delicious. Congrats again on the pregnancy!

Manni said...

Congratulations Kathia on your pregnancy. Wishing you and your family all the best!!! by the way that roll looks soooo good...mmh!

paddle attachment said...

This lemon swiss roll looks light and delightful (likely the exact opposite of what you're feeling). Take care with your pregnancy. I loved lemon too, with all three of my pregnancies.

Kate said...

Congratulations!!! That is absolutely fabulous news. I'm sorry you've been so sick this time around. I hope it gets better in the weeks ahead. It will all be worth it when Cammi's little brother or sister arrives! Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kathia! So happy for you! Feel better soon! :o)

Loren @ The Baking Sheet

Raychel said...

So happy for you! Sounds like my pregnancy with Jax. I lost 14lbs before I gained anything. If you need anything let me know :) I hope you feel better soon.

Raychel

Jasmin Adili said...

I wish I could taste that! :(

you might consider following my blog!

cakesensation.blogspot.com

Cheers

Cakeaholic said...

Congrads on the new baby! Hope you feel better soon. It will all be worth it when you see their little face.

faithy said...

Congrats Kathia! I hope you'll feel better soon! I can imagine how you must be feeling now. I had it very bad with my both of my pregnancies..when i had my daughter, i was practically throwing out everything (including my bile juices middle of the night ..yup!) 24/7 in the first few months and feeling sick right till the day i gave birth..and i still had to force myself to get to work.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I hope you start feeling better really soon! This lemon roll should do the trick, I think....it looks fabulous! ♥ Rest and take it easy!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy, Kathia!! The cake looks awesome, glad you could eat something so good :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I hope you gain your appetite back, soon!
This roll looks amazing and am going to try it with my roommate today! :)

Anonymous said...

Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. Thank you so much. nothing bundt cakes huntsville

Ujan sharma said...

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work

best snacks during pregnancy

dailyupdate said...

Thank you for sharing this helpful post with us.
রূপচর্চা লেবুর ব্যবহার

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.