Friday, July 29, 2011

How to make a bow for Minnie Mouse

I am not supposed to be making cakes by now, doctor's advise! these past few weeks have been very hard for me, in and out of the hospital almost every week. Not fun at all, but thank God I am feeling better now.

I couldn't say no to this client and this week I have been getting ready for a Minnie Mouse cake due this weekend. I will be doing a Minnie Mouse cake design that I have done before and is so perfect for little girl's birthday parties. Since I had to do a Minnie Mouse cake topper, I wanted to give you an idea on making a an easy sugar bow.
This is bow is actually very simple, but you can certainly make more sophisticated versions for other cakes designs.



To make a sugar bow you will need:


-50% fondant and 50% gumpaste of color of your choice. You can also use only gumpaste if you want. I do not recommend to use only fondant because it is too soft and the bow won't hold it's shape.
-Small rolling pin
-Pizza cutter
-Water
-Small brush
-Paper towel
-Ruler (optional)
-Luster dust



1-Using your rolling pin roll out the sugar paste about 1/8 inch thick.  You don't want the paste too thin, or the loops won't be able to hold their shape when they dry .
2-Using the pizza cutter and a ruler cut a long rectangular shape



3-Take two small pieces of the paper towel and roll them.
4-Place the rolled paper towel pieces where you are going to be folding the bow loops.


5-Brush a dab of water at the end of the loop and fold the bow loop around the piece of paper towel

6-Do the same for the other side



7-Turn the almost finished bow up and pinch the middle very gentle with you fingers

Photobucket

8-( not in picture)Roll a long and small rectangular piece of the fondant/ gumpaste mixture and attach with a dab of water to the middle of the bow.


Photobucket

9-Attach to cake board, sugar figure or any place you want in a cake.

Photobucket

10- Let the bow dry for a few hours and dust with  pink or pearl luster dust

Ready to make your own sugar bows?

10 comments:

Jen @ Party Dreamz said...

Super cute! You make it look so easy! :)

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Te quedo bellisima la Minnie... Pero mujer,quidate! :)

Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

SO cute! And I agree you make it look so easy!

Andrea's Cake said...

Imi pare rau sa aud ca ai avut probleme de sanatate si imi pare bine ca te simti mai bine.Multa sanatate iti doresc.Te pup.

Sue said...

Perhaps I may attempt a bow, but Minnie is another story:) Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

Aww this is so cute!! :)

Unknown said...

I hope you are doing better! I wish I had half the decorating talent that you do!!

Нели said...

Здравей,страшно интересни и полезни неща открих всред вашите страници ! ЧЕСТО ЩЕ ТИ ИДВАМ НА ГОСТИ ,ЗА ДА РАЗГЛЕДАМ С ВНИМАНИЕ ВСИЧКО ,КОЕТО СТЕ НИ ПРЕДЛОЖИЛИ !

JessCurlz said...

Just curious if I make this bow and I want to apply it to the side of a cake towards the middle, what is the best way to make sure it does not fall of? :/

Unknown said...

Its so useful thank u

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.