Friday, September 24, 2010

Halloween Series...Day 3 Triple Cheddar Crackers

Recipe and photographs by Laura Flowers.


I am very excited to have my dear friend Laura sharing one of her yummy recipes here.There are so many things I want to tell you about her , but I have to keep it short, after all, she is the guest blogger today.

-She is a winner in many ways.
-Laura was so fortunate to be one of 15 bloggers from all over US to take part in Electrolux & Kelly Ripa' s CAKE FOR A CAUSE" EVENT.
(I am actually a little jealous here, she has decorated cakes along with Kelly Ripa,Buddy Valastro and a Team from TLC's Cake Boss.)
-Her work has been feature on Foodgawker,DessertStalking,Serious Eats,Photograzing,Mr. Breakfast, and I can keep going on  if I want.
-She is and excellent photographer.This is one of my favorites shoots.
-I have gained a few pounds just looking at her food pictures.
-Laura and I actually meet this year, we had a wonderful dinner together.

Ok, I am going to stop now. This is Laura's

Triple Cheddar Crackers







Hi I’m Laura, your friendly neighborhood guest blogger. Ok, wait. Maybe I’m not typically a guest blogger, but at least I’m generally friendly. Besides how could I say no to Kathia when she asked if I’d send over a Halloween recipe? For those of you who don’t know Kathia, she’s a super great and talented friend and I’m lucky to have her in my life.


I created this recipe for the fall issue of Yum Kids. Hopefully it’s out by now, if not I’ll probably be in trouble. Oh heck, I always seem to be in trouble, so here it is anyway!

Triple Cheddar Crackers

Making crackers at home is like magic and these are the most magic of all as you watch them puff up into cute little Halloween shapes. Cut this recipe into any shape you prefer to enjoy homemade crackers year round.


1 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon onion powder
6 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
8 ounce package shredded triple cheddar cheese, or cheddar of choice
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons water

1. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

2. In a food processor pulse together the flour, salt, paprika and onion powder. Add the butter and process until combined. Add the cheddar and pulse until finely chopped. Process in the egg yolk and water until the mixture forms a ball.

3. Remove the dough and knead in your hands for a few turns. Divide in half and roll one part between two pieces of wax paper to 3/8 inch thick. Peel off the wax paper and stamp dough with cookie stamps or cut with cookie cutters. Place the crackers on cookie sheets.

4. Freeze the crackers on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Move the cookie sheets to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Cool crackers on cooling racks. Store in an airtight container.

Yields 54 3/8 ounce cookies. Prep time 30 minutes. Baking time 20 minutes.


Laura, thank you for being there for me every time I need you.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone and come back on Monday for another Halloween Idea.

12 comments:

Sue said...

Laura, I am going to make these FOR SURE! It will be so nice to give my grandkids an alternative to all my sweets:) I even have those same cookie cutters!

notyet100 said...

such cute cookie cutters,..

Silvina Barboza said...

They look so yummy! I'm baking those today!!!

www.MadeWithPink.com said...

Wow, those look fabulous and delicious! I seriously need to make these! Going to print off the recipe right now. I want those cutters as well! Too cute, but I have a feeling their from W&S aren't they? I can't get themn in the UK :-(

Kate said...

What a great idea! I've never made crackers at home. I always think of making cupcakes and sweet treats for Halloween. I love this original idea!

Unknown said...

Oh these are awesome and oh so cute!!! Thanks for sharing!

Isa said...

Preciosas galletas y tambien los fantasmitas¡¡¡
saludos

The Cooking Photographer said...

Kathia thank-you!! This was such fun to be your guest blogger. I don't think this was a cover shot though, just an inside shot. I did a dozen or so recipes for this issue.

Laura

Sandra said...

What a terrific blog! I've just added myself as a fan on FB so now I'll always see when you post!

Unknown said...

Those cookies look delicious. Lovely cutters :)

Mari Nuñez said...

Delicious recipe! Can't wait to try these crackers.

Un saludo Kathia :D

Mary Lazarides said...

These look delicious! And beautifully photographed.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time and leaving a comment.I really appreciate it.